|The Probate Process: 3 to 9 Months After Death|
- Petition the appropriate court for probate.
- Place a legal notice in the paper to notify unidentified
heirs and creditors. Contact named beneficiaries and known
- For example, if the decedent owned investment property,
rents will need to be collected.
- This includes expenses, debts, and bequests (paid out in
that order). Court permission may be required before writing
checks through the estate account--keep meticulous
- The federal estate tax return is due nine months after
the date of death. State filing deadlines vary, so check with
the appropriate state agency.
- This is necessary to close the probate proceedings and
relinquish the executor's duties.