Whitehouse & Company CPA's
Can I contribute my own stocks and bonds to the 529 account I've set up for my child?


No. Your contributions to a 529 plan must be made in cash (e.g., checks, credit card payments), so you cannot contribute stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or any other property. If you have money tied up in such investments and would like to move the money to a 529 account for your child, you must liquidate (sell) the investments first. But before you do so, be sure to seek sound financial advice about the tax consequences and other related issues.

Prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc, Copyright 2011