Whitehouse & Company CPA's
How do I enroll in a state's 529 plan?


Contact the plan administrator that runs the 529 plan that you want to join. (All plans have websites and toll-free numbers to help you get the information you need.) Plan administrators may be state agencies or companies established solely for the purpose of running a 529 plan, or they may be investment firms. In any case, the plan administrator operates under the authority of each state government, such as the state treasury department. The plan administrator will send you a packet of information that includes enrollment materials, along with a program description. Read the information thoroughly and make sure you understand the plan's rules before you enroll.

In addition, be sure to check the enrollment period for the plan. Many states offer open enrollment, meaning you can join the plan at any time. Other states have shortened enrollment periods, such as October to January.

Prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc, Copyright 2011